Garan Lucow Miller P.C. currently has an opportunity in the Firm’s Detroit office for a Paralegal with litigation experience. Qualified candidates will have 2-5 years of experience in litigation as well as the demonstrated ability to fulfill the duties as described below.
- Researches law sources by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes.
- Prepares legal documents in draft form for review, approval and use by attorneys.
- Corresponds with clients, counsel, and other parties as requested by attorneys.
- Summarizes records, discovery.
- Assembles reviews and summarizes medical and other records.
- Assembles reviews and summarizes documents related to all client matters produced by opposing counsel and third parties.
- Files pleadings as directed by attorneys with various courts and/or other entities.
- Maintains organization of case files.
- Assists attorneys in all aspects of trial preparation as directed by attorneys.
- Legal Research – obtain cases, legal articles and analysis of rules on holdings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time restraints.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys, and staff to provide information with courtesy and tact.
- Able to work with minimal supervision as part of a team and independently.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree and/or two years of related experience at a law firm.
- Insurance defense experience preferred.