Garan Lucow Miller P.C. is seeking an experienced Litigation Legal Assistant to provide support in the Firm’s Port Huron office. Qualified candidates will have a minimum of two to five years’ experience providing litigation support, preferably in a first party PIP/third party automobile negligence, Michigan No Fault or other insurance defense environment. This position will also fill in as the receptionist answering phones on a part time basis.
- Produces information by transcribing dictation, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics as well as coordinating case preparation.
- Conserves attorney’s time by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other courtroom visuals; preparing expense reports.
- Maintains attorney’s calendar by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, depositions, and travel; recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing (federal and state) requirements; monitoring evidence-gathering; anticipating changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
- Represents attorney by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to attorney.
- Generates revenues by documenting and inputting billable time and reimbursable expenses; preparing invoices; tracking payments.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time restraints.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys, and staff to provide information with courtesy and tact.
- Able to work with minimal supervision as part of a team and independently.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree and/or two years of related experience at a law firm.
- Insurance defense experience preferred.