Garan Lucow Miller P.C. currently has an opportunity in the Firm’s Detroit office for an experienced Insurance Defense Legal Secretary to support two associate attorneys. Qualified candidates will have a minimum of three to five years’ experience providing litigation support, preferably in a first party PIP/third party automobile negligence, Michigan No Fault or other insurance defense environment.
- Produces information by transcribing dictation, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics as well as coordinating case preparation.
- Conserves attorney’s time by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; organizing client conferences, and attorney meetings; scheduling couriers, court reporters, expert witnesses, and other special functions; coordinating preparation of charts, graphs, and other courtroom visuals; preparing expense reports.
- Maintains attorney’s calendar by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, depositions, and travel; recording and monitoring court appearance dates, pleadings, and e-filing (federal and state) requirements; monitoring evidence-gathering; anticipating changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
- Represents attorney by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to attorney.
- Generates revenues by documenting and inputting billable time and reimbursable expenses; preparing invoices; tracking payments.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communication: possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Professionalism: able to approach others in a tactful manner, treat others with respect, works well under pressure.
- Attendance: arrives to work on time, is consistent with schedule, ensures responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Dependability: follows instructions, completes tasks in a timely manner, and commits to schedule to complete work.
- Teamwork: able to work independently and in a team environment, able to assist others as needed.
- Customer Service: Promptly respond to attorney/client requests, meets deadlines, able to prioritize and multi-task.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree and/or three years of related experience at a law firm or insurance defense setting preferred.
- Possess basic PC skills including (but not limited to); typing, word-processing, email, phones (voicemail, transferring calls, etc.), transcribing dictation, time entry, e-filing in both state and federal court, scanning, faxing and basic filing.