John J. Gillooly
Member of the firm’s Executive Committee
“Super Lawyer” 2011 – 2013
- University of Detroit School of Law, J.D., 1988
- Cambridge University, Emmanuel College, United Kingdom: Course work included International Law, Law of the European Economic Community, and Comparative Constitutional Law, 1987
- Lake Superior State College, B.S. Criminal Justice, 1984
Garan Lucow Miller, P.C.
- Immediate Past Chairman of the firm’s executive committee
- Chairperson, Municipal Practice Group: Responsibilities include all phases of defending the interests of public officials, municipalities and clients involved in catastrophic claims, (1991 to Present).
- Special Prosecutor, In Re Howard Alan Katz: Appointed to prosecute over 300 alleged instances of criminal contempt of court by Attorney Howard Alan Katz, (2005).
- Court Appointed Arbitrator–American Arbitration Association.
Law Clerk to the Honorable Maureen Pulte Reilly, Michigan Court of Appeals, Detroit, Michigan
Responsibilities included writing 14 proposed opinions for case call each month, including extensive legal research on a wide variety of civil and criminal issues, (January 1989 – February 1991).
Research Attorney, Michigan Court of Appeals, Detroit, Michigan
Responsibilities included preparation of pre-hearing reports.
Research Attorney to the Honorable Louis F. Simmons, Jr., Wayne County Circuit Court
Responsibilities included writing judicial opinions and motion recommendations.
Law Clerk, Gandelot, Stoepker & Dickson, P.C., Detroit, Michigan
Responsibilities included legal research and memorandum writing.
- Commissioner: State Bar of Michigan (1997-2000)
- Commissioner Liaison: United States Courts Committee
- Commissioner Liaison: Aviation Law Section
- Commissioner Liaison: Litigation Section
- Commissioner Liaison: Arts, Sports and Entertainment Law Section
- Commissioner Liaison: Judicial Qualifications Committee
- Board of Directors/Past President: Association of Defense Trial Counsel (elected; 1997-2003)
- Vice Chairperson Governmental Liability Committee: American Bar Association (appointed; 2000-Present)
- Past Chairperson: State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section (elected; 1998-1999)
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Executive Council (elected; 1997-1999)
- Co-Founder of Foundations of Michigan Law Practice: A six day series of eleven courses covering all major practice areas for new attorneys; co-sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Fellow Michigan State Bar Foundation: Recognition for outstanding legal ability and devotion to the public (September 1998)
- Fellow American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division: Recognition for outstanding legal ability and devotion to the public (September 1998)
- President: Model United Nations Club, 1982-1984 Lake Superior State College
- President: Grosse Pointe South High School, Student Association (1980)
- Licensed Private Pilot: Federal Aviation Administration
- Board of Directors : Grosse Pointe Red Barons Football (2006-present)
- Volunteer Counsel: Mariner’s Inn- a Detroit based in-patient substance abuse treatment facility
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- Supreme Court of the State of Michigan
- “Help Prevent Child Abuse/Neglect”: An informational publication designed, written and distributed in Spanish and English to more than 100,000 recipients.
- Editor of GovLaw: A monthly informational publication sent to municipalities across the State of Michigan regarding recent developments and trends in Municipal Law.
- 2007 Michigan Municipal League Labor and Employment Seminar Traverse City, Michigan, (September 18, 2007)
- 2007 Michigan Municipal League Labor and Employment Seminar Kalamazoo, Michigan, (May 9, 2007)
- 2007 Michigan Municipal League, Legislative Conference; Open Meetings Act, (March 20, 2007)
- Issues in Record Retention, Electronic Transmittal of Documents and Tips and Tricks of Litigating in Michigan: Mott Community College (April, 2006)
- Economic Development Agreements and Public Act 425 (March, 2006)
- Michigan Municipal League Regional Training Program: Tips and Tricks of Litigating in Michigan and The Freedom of Information Act, A Comprehensive Overview (February, 2006)
- Michigan Municipal League 107th Annual Convention; Legal Notes in Public Purchasing Issues (September 2005)
- Michigan Municipal League 107th Annual Convention; The Freedom of Information Act, A Comprehensive Overview (September 2005)
- Weekly Lectures to City of Warren Police Department re Current Legal Issues (2005 Training Program)
- Legal Issues Involving Michigan Local Governments; National Business Institute (May 2004)
- Michigan Municipal League 49th Annual Regional Meeting; The Old and New Face of Trespass Nuisance (February 2002)
- Joint Investiture for Honorable Pat M. Donofrio (Michigan Court of Appeals) and the Honorable Richard Caretti (Macomb County Circuit Court) (December 2002)
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys; The Old and New Face of Trespass Nuisance (June 2001)
- Michigan Public Risk Management Association: Pollution Liability, The Impact of Environmental Law on Municipalities (March 2001)
- Municipal Liability Seminar: “State of the Law 2000″ (May 2000)
- Michigan Public Employer Labor Relations Association: “Sexual Harassment in the Workplace” (May 2000)
- Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan: First Annual Youth Violence Seminar, “Help Prevent Child Abuse/Neglect” (May 2000)
- 16th Annual Achievement Awards Panelist/Judge: Michigan Municipal League (October 1999)
- Fifth Annual Opening Doors Conference, Speaker: Building a Successful Law Practice (October 1999)
- Regeanna Myrick Endowed Scholarship Fund: Keynote address (May 1999)
- Michigan Municipal League Annual Convention, Traverse City, Michigan: Basement Flooding and Class Action Litigation (September 1999)
- Montgomery Ward & Company, Inc., Regional Loss Prevention Meeting: “Litigation in Michigan: An Overview” (July 1995)
- Montgomery Ward & Company, Inc., Regional Loss Prevention Meeting: “Litigation in Michigan: An Overview” (July 1994)